Sig Medal of Honor Recipients


Maj. Gen. Charles Evans Kilbourne, U.S. Army  OHIO STATE 1893

  Spanish-American War (capture of Manila)

  Philippine Insurrection

  Boxer Rebellion Campaign, China

  World War I

Congressional Medal of Honor – Paco Bridge, Philippine Insurrection, Feb. 5, 1899

Awarded for actions during the Philippine Insurrection

The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to First Lieutenant (Infantry) Charles Evans Kilbourne, Jr., United States Army, for most distinguished gallantry on 5 February 1899, while serving with U.S. Volunteer Signal Corps, in action at Paco Bridge, Philippine Islands. Within a range of 250 yards of the enemy and in the face of a rapid fire, First Lieutenant Kilbourne climbed a telegraph pole at the east end of the bridge and in full view of the enemy coolly and carefully repaired a broken telegraph wire, thereby reestablishing telegraphic communication to the front.

General Orders: Date of Issue: May 6, 1905

Action Date: February 5, 1899

Service: Army

Rank: First Lieutenant

Division: U.S. Volunteer Signal Corps

Distinguished Service Cross – Thiacourt, France, WWI, September 12, 1918

Distinguished Service Medal – 89th Division & 36th Artillery Brigade, France, WWI

Croix de Guere (France) – St. Mihiel Salient, France, WWI

Legion of Honor (France)

Order of St. Olaf (Norway)

In 1933, as Chief of Army War Plans, recommended the Army Air Service “conduct land-based air operation in the defense of the United States and its overseas possessions” as opposed to only relying on coastal artillery (Army) and Navy.  


Samuel I. Parker, NORTH CAROLINA 1917
Congressional Medal of Honor
- France, WWI


Medal of Honor

See more recipients of this award

Awarded for actions during the World War I

The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Second Lieutenant (Infantry) Samuel Iredell Parker, United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty on July 18 & 19, 1918, while serving with Company K, 28th Infantry, 1st Division, in action at Soissons, France. During the attack the 2d and 3d Battalions of the 28th Infantry were merged, and after several hours of severe fighting, successfully established a frontline position. In so doing, a gap was left between the right flank of the French 153d Division on their left and the left flank of the 28th Infantry, exposing the left flank to a terrific enfilade fire from several enemy machine guns located in a rock quarry on high ground. Second Lieutenant Parker, observing this serious situation, ordered his depleted platoon to follow him in an attack upon the strong point. Meeting a disorganized group of French Colonials wandering leaderlessly about, he persuaded them to join his platoon. This consolidated group followed Second Lieutenant Parker through direct enemy rifle and machine gun fire to the crest of the hill, and rushing forward, took the quarry by storm, capturing six machine guns and about 40 prisoners. The next day when the assault was continued, Second Lieutenant Parker in command of the merged 2d and 3d Battalions was in support of the 1st Battalion. Although painfully wounded in the foot, he refused to be evacuated and continued to lead his command until the objective was reached. Seeing that the assault battalion was subjected to heavy enfilade fire due to a gap between it and the French on its left, Second Lieutenant Parker led his battalion through this heavy fire up on the line to the left of the 1st Battalion and thereby closed the gap, remaining in command of his battalion until the newly established lines of the 28th Infantry were thoroughly consolidated. In supervising the consolidation of the new position, Second Lieutenant Parker was compelled to crawl about on his hands and knees on account of his painful wound. His conspicuous gallantry and spirit of self-sacrifice were a source of great inspiration to the members of the entire command.

General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 1 (1937)

Action Date: July 18 & 19, 1918

Service: Army

Rank: Second Lieutenant

Company: Company K

Regiment: 28th Infantry

Division: 1st Division, American Expeditionary Forces

Distinguished Service Cross

See more recipients of this award

Awarded for actions during the World War I

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Second Lieutenant (Infantry) Samuel Iredell Parker, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving with 28th Infantry Regiment, 1st Division, A.E.F., near Exermont, France, 5 October 1918. With total disregard for his own personal danger, Lieutenant Parker advanced directly on a machine-gun 150 yards away while the enemy were firing directly at him, and killed the gunner with his pistol. In the town of Exermont his platoon was almost surrounded after having taken several prisoners and inflicting heavy losses on the enemy; but despite the fact that only a few men of the platoon were left, continued to fight until other troops came to their aid.

General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 44 (1919)

Action Date: 5-Oct-18

Service: Army

Rank: Second Lieutenant

Regiment: 28th Infantry Regiment

Division: 1st Division, American Expeditionary Forces


T/SGT. Forrest Lee “Woody” Vosler, U.S. Army Air Corps  SYRACUSE 1948 (Photo on left, Brother Vosler is standing 4th from left with his bomber crew. Photo on right: Brother Vosler being congratulated by President Roosevelt.)


Radioman/Gunner on the B-17 “Jersey Bounce, Jr.” 

358th Bomber Squadron, 303rd Bomb Group (Hell's Angels), 8th Air Force, Molesworth, England, World War II

Congressional Medal of Honor - Over Bremen, Germany and in the North Sea, Dec. 20, 1943.  


For conspicuous gallantry in action against the enemy above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a radio operator-air gunner on a heavy bombardment aircraft in a mission over Bremen, Germany, on 20 December 1943. After bombing the target, the aircraft in which T/Sgt. Vosler was serving was severely damaged by antiaircraft fire, forced out of formation, and immediately subjected to repeated vicious attacks by enemy fighters. Early in the engagement a 20-mm. cannon shell exploded in the radio compartment, painfully wounding T/Sgt. Vosler in the legs and thighs. At about the same time a direct hit on the tail of the ship seriously wounded the tail gunner and rendered the tail guns inoperative. Realizing the great need for firepower in protecting the vulnerable tail of the ship, T/Sgt. Vosler, with grim determination, kept up a steady stream of deadly fire. Shortly thereafter another 20-mm. enemy shell exploded, wounding T/Sgt. Vosler in the chest and about the face. Pieces of metal lodged in both eyes, impairing his vision to such an extent that he could only distinguish blurred shapes. Displaying remarkable tenacity and courage, he kept firing his guns and declined to take first-aid treatment. The radio equipment had been rendered inoperative during the battle, and when the pilot announced that he would have to ditch, although unable to see and working entirely by touch, T/Sgt. Vosler finally got the set operating and sent out distress signals despite several lapses into unconsciousness. When the ship ditched, T/Sgt. Vosler managed to get out on the wing by himself and hold the wounded tail gunner from slipping off until the other crew members could help them into the dinghy. T/Sgt. Vosler's actions on this occasion were an inspiration to all serving with him. The extraordinary courage, coolness, and skill he displayed in the face of great odds, when handicapped by injuries that would have incapacitated the average crew member, were outstanding.

Silver Star

Purple Heart (wounded twice by enemy 20mm on the Dec. 20, 1943 mission)

Air Medal

Named in his honor:

The Forrest L. Vosler NCO Academy, Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Forrest L. Vosler Veterans Memorial ParkForrest L. Vosler Veterans Memorial Park, corner of Big Tree St. & Main St., Livonia, New York

1st Lt. George Ham Cannon, U.S.M.C., MICHIGAN 1938
Congressional Medal of Honor
- Midway Island, Pacific, Dec. 7, 1941 - WWII (awarded posthumously)

George Ham Cannon was born on 5 November 1915 in Webster Groves, Missouri. He attended the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, Michigan and was a member of the Reserve Officers Training Corps. During his last year, he was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army. Cannon graduated in June 1938 and resigned from the Army. He was then appointed to the United States Marine Corps from Michigan as a Second Lieutenant. After completing Basic School at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in May 1939, he reported for sea duty on board the light cruiser Boise. In July 1940, he transferred to the Post Service Battalion at Marine Barracks, Quantico, Virginia, which was followed by an assignment to the Marine Corps Base at San Diego, California.

In February 1941, Cannon received orders to Battery H, Second Defense Battalion, with the Battery transferring to the Sixth Defense Battalion a month later. During the Summer, his unit relocated to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, where he was promoted in August to First Lieutenant. In September, Cannon reported as Battery Commander of Battery H, Sixth Defense Battalion, Fleet Marine Force on Sand Island, Midway Islands. On 7 December, the Japanese attacked the island by surprise. Though severely wounded by an enemy shell, he remained at his post until all of his wounded men were evacuated. Despite his courage and dedication to his men, Cannon lost his own life due to a subsequent loss of blood from his wounds. For his "distinguished conduct in the line of his profession" on this occasion, he was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. George H. Cannon is buried at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Named in his honor:

U.S. Navy Destroyer Escort U.S.S. Cannon (DE-99)



Maurice Lee "Footsie" Britt, ARKANSAS 1940
Congressional Medal of Honor - Italian Campaign, WWII

Rank and organization: Captain (then Lieutenant), U.S. Army, 3d Infantry Division.

Place and date: North of Mignano, Italy, 10 November 1943.

Entered service at: Lonoke, Ark.

Born: 29 June 1919, Carlisle, Ark.

G.O. No.: 23, 24 March 1944.

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty.  Disdaining enemy hand grenades and close-range machine pistol, machine gun, and rifle, Lt. Britt inspired and led a handful of his men in repelling a bitter counterattack by approximately 100 Germans against his company positions north of Mignano, Italy, the morning of 10 November 1943.  During the intense fire fight, Lt. Britt’s canteen and field glasses were shattered; a bullet pierced his side; his chest, face, and hands were covered with grenade wounds.  Despite his wounds, for which he refused to accept medical attention until ordered to do so by his battalion commander following the battle, he personally killed 5 and wounded an unknown number of Germans, wiped out one enemy machine gun crew, fired 5 clips of carbine and an undetermined amount of Ml rifle ammunition, and threw 32 fragmentation grenades. His bold, aggressive actions, utterly disregarding superior enemy numbers, resulted in capture of 4 Germans, 2 of them wounded, and enabled several captured Americans to escape.  Lt. Britt’s undaunted courage and prowess in arms were largely responsible for repulsing a German counterattack which, if successful, would have isolated his battalion and destroyed his company.